Fanatic Progress with New Growbed Additions! – Part 3 of 3


finished-beds_01AQUAPONIC SUCCESS!!!

The day has finally arrived, I have my FULL AP up and running!!! Whoo hoooooo!!!! 🙂

Originally, the plan was for 6 months from start to finish… well… almost made it 😉

1 year and 11 months later, my full AP grow space is now complete… WHEW!!! Not that I’m one to say anything is ever completely over.. its the journey, not the destination right?…  Right!?!?!

finished-beds_02
Anyhoo, the final two beds have been built, lined, leveled, plumbed and now filled with rock media. This last little bit is great exercise by the way 😉

I was able to determine that for the last 2 grow beds, I was gonna need roughly 1.2 tons of cinder/lava rock to fill those beds. Now originally I thought about having this delivered, but as with all things, there was a monkey wrench in that plan, they informed me that because this is the start of the busy season, I would not get my rock delivered till Monday! Whaaaa!?!?!

Well, as you can guess, that will just not do! A man with a plan (along with a 1 year delay) is not going to stand for another delay of 3 days! I will be at work, I cannot wait till the following weekend.. so I made an effort to take the old pick up truck and haul the last of my material myself.

finished-beds_03Now let me just say, 1.2 tons in the bed of a 1/2 ton pickup that is 35 years old is an experience! I NEVER went over 35 miles per hour, because the drop in my rear was quite impressive, let me tell you! 😉

Still, the old girl did herself justice and got the rock media home without bottoming out, a flat, the bed disintegrating, the tail gate busting open and spilling its content, etc. etc. She came through with flying colors and I love that old beast even more as a result!

finished-beds_04Once home, grabbed the wheel barrel and started shoveling it out of the bed, into the WB and hauling it to the beds. This took all of close to 4 hours from start to finish, but it was work well done, the beds are filled, the siphons are doing their jobs and now the fish tank is a nice rusty Kool Aid 😉

This is of course normal. Had this happen when I got the first two beds installed. Eventually the sediment will settle and the water will clear naturally.

In order to accommodate the additional flow needed for the beds, I had to completely shut off my excess ‘pressure valve’ completely. Normally I was using this to aerate the water in the tank, but now with 4 beds siphoning off at random, there is more than enough water returning to the tank via the 4 inch pipe at any given time to keep things properly oxygenated. Although, I am considering adding a DIY Venturi to the pressure valve. The reason is mainly because I like projects. With the main system completed its now time to give considerations to the finer details 😉

finished-beds_05As mentioned before in Part 2, I am planning on replacing the hoop house with a Pergola. A materials plan is in the works and I plan on posting updates with regards to that as well as the Venturi and the addition of a swirl filter to the mix.

Lots of plans, lots of ideas, and plenty of motivation!

Stay tuned!

Advertisements

Posted on February 22, 2014, in Aquaponics, Garden, Get Motivated, goldfish, Greenhouse, Hydroponics, Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.

  1. Fantastic progress. Can’t wait to see it full of plants and growing hard.
    Good job.

  2. That looks like quite a dirt haul! But it looks like all your hard work paid off. The grow beds look perfect. Share some pics when you get some plants in there! Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: