Fanatic Progress with the New Growbed Additions! – Part 1 of 3


02-2014_04I had been planning on expanding my overall system for a while now.. I’m glad to say that progress is FINALLY being made on that front.

The new growbeds will effectively double my overall systems grow area to about 96SF from the original 48SF. For a family of 2, this will be more than adequate 😉

The new beds are to the east of my current ones and have finally been moved on to the support blocks and leveled. My next step will be to get the liner inserted, creation of two additional siphons and then finishing up on the plumbing. Due to the grading of the yard, the new beds will be roughly 6 inches higher than the first two. This works to my benefit as the output pipe needs to maintain a good angle to get the outflow back to the fish tank.

The fish seem to be doing well. Switched up to Goldfish after my first batch of Talapia died due to a parasite in the system (my best guess). Overall, the system has been performing splendidly! It has fully matured and can be readily seen with the strong growth going on in the first two beds.

I’ve been supplementing the system every two weeks with Seaweed extract to make sure extra nutrients are getting to the plants. I started doing this about 6 weeks back after seeing that my peas were looking a little on the ‘pasty’ side. So far, the Seaweed appears to be working quite well 🙂

New plans are in the works to start in on a worm farm and creating my own ‘Worm Tea’ to help replace the Seaweed extract. I did add in worms to my growbeds and they are munching away happily, so I’m going to see about grabbing a few more and trying to raise a bit of my own. This will also double in the creation of worm castings to be added in later via some wicking beds that I’d like to use for root based veggies like carrots, yams, potatoes, etc.

02-2014_03 02-2014_02 02-2014_01

02-2014_06 02-2014_05

Advertisements

Posted on February 1, 2014, in Aquaponics, Garden, Get Motivated, goldfish, Greenhouse, Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. Not sure how long you have had those grow beds producing, but how have they held up against the test of time?

    • Hi Alex, the first phase of the build was completed roughly 18 months ago, so far she’s held up just fine.
      It’s only these last 2 beds that I’ve built that were completed in the last month or so.

      Since the first did such a bang up job, I didn’t need to revise the design what-so-ever.

      • and those are OSB boards that you used correct? See my channels are built from plywood, but OSB board is significantly cheaper than PT Plywood Sheathing, just was curious as to how OSB held up.

      • Yes, I used OSB versus plywood to save a bit of money as well. It’s easy to add in additional 2×4 support for added strength.
        They’ve held up without issue as a result for a good long while.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: