Urban Farm Fanatic Item #2 – Aquaponics Greenhouse… The Build Continues!
Well, the opportunity to finally get down to the fun part of building the greenhouse, i.e… actually building the greenhouse has come! No bushes to dig out, no irrigation to dig around for, no screening out river rocks. Just fun old, “Break out the power tools and grunt like Tim the Toolman Taylor building!!!” Arrrrghhh arrrgh aaahhhh!!! 🙂
Originally my thought was to just start adding in a few images as the build progressed, but by the end of the day I had realized that I had been quite the camera bug.. and so putting together just a few still frames wasn’t going to do this build the justice it deserved. After all, you plan a project for months, you need to give it the full blogging treatment. So, I decided to dust off what little knowledge I have about video editing and put together a nice little clip of the days progress… and yes, this all occurred in just one day! (The magic of the hoop house build.) All together about 8 hours of work.
After completing the first days work, I’d have to say the hardest part of the initial build was the 2x4x6 foundation. I was wanting that to be as level as I could get it, but realized that the ground was in no way level for my needs. I pre-drilled holes for each of the pieces on my back porch which I knew to be level, then moved them into the yard for assembly (the greenhouse’s dimensions are 12×40). I used scrap blocks to add support to the low lying areas. Followed that up with the sledgehammering of the 3 foot re-bar pieces (drove those half way into the ground.. my right hand is dead by the way from swinging an 8 pound sledgehammer).
As for the easiest part, that would be the assembling and installation of the PVC supports. Got a nice little 45 degree joint to mount the two 10 foot sections together, slid one end over the re-bar on one side, then bent and slid it over on the opposing side. That part took all of 20 minutes to complete the entire hoop!
Next weekend I will be receiving a large order of rock that will be applied to the foundation. The plan was to do that anyway and I thought it better to work with the rock in order to achieve a level base rather than trying to dig up the surrounding dirt and raking that around. But as I said.. next weekend.. right now the old bod is ridiculously sore, so I’m going to be giving it a breather before I put it back to work!
Enjoy the video!!! 🙂
Posted on March 26, 2012, in Aquaponics, Get Motivated, Greenhouse, Inspiration and tagged airstones, aquaponic greenhouse, aquaponics, bacteria colony, bacteria culture, baramundi, Catfish, Commercial Aquaponics, community, compost, Crayfish, creativity, degasser, ebb and flow, ecosystem, farm, farming, fish, fish farm, fresh produce, fruit, fruits, gardening, greens, grow beds, herb garden, herbs, hoop, hoop design, hoop house, ideas, nft, nutrient film technique, outdoors, Perch, plants, pump, rock media, seeding trays, self, siphon, small footprint, small space, solids filter, sump, sunshine, sustainability, Talapia, urban garden, urban gardens, vegatables, vegetable production, vertical towers, water usage. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.